The festivities of Archtober continue! Today we honor the Center for Architecture. This cultural landmark presents divergent exhibits about architecture, urban design, and environmental planning. The center is located at 536 LaGuardia Place, between 3rd Street and Bleecker Street. It’s operated by the New York state chapter of the American Institute for Architects. Housed in the building is the Center for Architecture Foundation, the New York state chapter of The American Society of Landscape Architecture, and The Structural Engineering Association of New York.
The earliest evidence of this building is from a Bromley Fire Insurance map from 1916, also visible on the map are street cars tracks and above ground rail stations. The Center for Architecture was previously known as the New York Foundation for Architecture and was established in 1966. Every year, about 5,500 people come to the center to take part in the center’s award-winning programming. In every year since 2005, they have earned the American Architectural Foundation’s K-12 Architectural Education Award of Merit.
Not only do they complete educational programming in there building, the Center for Architecture hosts programming all over the five boroughs. According to their website, their mission is to “promote public understanding and appreciation of architecture and design through educational programs for K-12 students, teachers, families, and the general public.”
Check out our archive for more notable structures in honor of Archtober.