If there was one thing you should do on Earth Day, it is recycle. At the very least, please recycle. But some of us are a little more advanced than that – some could go as far as upcycle some perfectly good household items that are just… out of date? Floppy disks certainly qualify as out of date, don’t you think?
We love floppy disks for all the creative opportunities it offers people who still happen to own them. (By the way, you might have a hording problem if you still own a sizable number of floppy disks; we’re just giving you the heads up now.) And since they provide little to no use for us on the technology front, as computers don’t even have floppy disk drives anymore and USB drives offer exponentially more data space, you might as well find some creative ways to reuse those floppy disks, don’t you think? Some of these projects we found are simple enough to make while there are still a few hours left of Earth Day, while some you can purchase on Etsy. Check them out below!
1. Green and geeky desk organizers make our heart flutter just a bit. Making one yourself seems simple enough – all you’ll need are some zip ties and 5 floppies – but the one above can be found on Etsy! (via GeekGear)
For more wonderful desk organizer finds, go here.
2. You can make a floppy disk wall clock! How fun would this piece of work be on your wall? (via Instructables)
3. You can create a colorful patchwork under your desk with any spare floppies you may have! Also a great idea for a glass coffee table you want to spruce up a bit. (via Apartment Therapy)
4. These notebooks with floppies as the covers are pretty simple to make in theory, but we think it might be worth the convenience to buy them off Etsy! (via Fishstikks)
5. If you’re a tech geek who also gravitates a bit towards plants, then these nerdy planters are perfect for you! (via Brit + Co)
Want more ideas for upcycled planters? Go here.
6. This disk combobulation is a little too advance to make, even for the best of DIYers, but the structural beauty of the assembly was too great not to feature! (via George W. Hart)
7. Wait, you can wear floppies? Because this floppy disk bag has got the nerds in us doing cartwheels! (via Instructables)
8. This awesome floppy disk hack can transform your USB drive into a functional vintage piece! (via TreeHugger)
9. You can save your coffee tables from the doom that is condensation with some awesome floppy disk coasters! Buy yourself a set on Etsy! (via TechnoChic)
Check out our Upcycle This! archive for other cool upcycle projects.
What other ways would you upcycle your floppy disks?