For this week’s DIY Thursday, we’re featuring this simple kokedama string garden that takes 5 materials and 7 steps to make yourself. This captivating Japanese gardening method is a perfect DIY project for gardening and bonsai beginner enthusiasts. You can make a few of them and hang them out doors and enjoy as they sway in the breeze.
But how to make them?
- Small plant
- Heavy clay mud (or bonsai soil)
- Potting soil
How to Make the Kokedama String Garden
- Mix equal amounts of clay and potting soil
- Pull plant from container
- Pat clay mixer around the roots, mold into ball
- Press moss all over the clay ball
- Cut 3 yards of twine, wrap and twist around the garden
- Knot the twine
- Hang the kokedama