The 2012 Emporis Skyscraper Award, in which judges select the best buildings that were completed in 2011, winner has been announced! It is 8 Spruce Street, a stunning 76-floor residential building that resides in the Financial District of Manhattan. This is the architect Frank Gehry’s first skyscraper. Some fun facts about 8 Spruce Street:
- Other names: The Beekman, New York by Gehry
- Gehry is known for the swoopy steel exteriors in all his buildings
- The south side is a simple flat plane, meant to contrast the details of the other 3 sides of the building
- The first 5 stories of the building have a brick facade to mimic the spirit of the neighboring buildings in Financial District
- The building totals 1.1 million square feet
- It is home to 903 rental apartments, a school, doctor’s offices, retail, and parking
Go to Daily Mail to see the other skyscrapers that made the top 10 of Emporis’s list.
Go to our Photo of the Day archive to view more notable images.